Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Pasir Ris Tragedy-A Thought to be Remembered

It's been quite a while since I've blogged.
Am I losing interest?
Am I finding it more difficult to source out new inspirations/topics to ponder?
Am I losing that sensitivity towards the happenings around me?
I don't know.
Yet, somehow, it seems that this is still the place for me to seek solace in the mad-ness that had seemingly engulfed reality.
It's this place that I can ponder and realize my thoughts freely without judgement. Without caring if another person is going to contest the contents of my writings or run the rule over my poor grammar. Agreed. Poor grammar inhibits comprehension. Yet, excessive reference to grammar rules inhibits my freedom of expression. The sense of joy that fills up as I put each thought in my head into words. I think.

Anyway, perhaps the real motivation of me restarting the blog was an article in the newspapers about the Pasir Ris Tragedy where a teenage boy was hacked to death by a group with alleged gang-relations. I felt sorry for the boy and more so for his parents and love ones. A small matter such as a "staring" incident had escalated into the loss of lives. A degeneration of societal values?
Perhaps I was affected by this incident because it made me realize that I really should count my lucky stars over my growing up years. I had personally been caught in "staring" incidents....maybe out of ignorance for what it entails or gradually of defiance that signifies my resentfulness toward bullies?
It dawned on me that perhaps someday, I too ,will be greeted with indignant teenage faces through their staring glances. How will I react? How should I react?
To look away=to being fearful?
No. I disagree.
But then what should I do?
A question worth pondering.

As the boy's father mentioned at the end of the report "Let there be justice"
I hope so too.
For the sake of the boy's passing.
For the sake of his family's want for justice and accountability.
For the sake of this society's moral and values system.
For the sake of our future.

Rest in peace-Darren

Life goes on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home