Friday, December 05, 2008

Growing up too fast anyone ?

It is kind of funny that when there I was slogging along during the semester meeting datelines and (attempting to or at least it seems) passing my tests, which finally culminated in the cramming and mugging madness before the exams, my mind were crowded with thoughts of the holidays instead of the formulas and concepts that were expected of me.

Ushering in the holidays and there I was thinking how life feels so empty and hollow without all the hustle and bustle of work. It starts to dawn on me.....whatever happened to all those grand and magnificent holiday plans I had festered in my mind during the exam period. Guess it truly is unfathomable the things one desire in life.

I had dinner with one of my close buddies, one whom I knew through Secondary school and JC. Then, we were always cracking lame jokes, talking about computer/X Box games, fighting it out over who was the best character in the Lord of the Rings movie/game series ( for the record, I still think Gimli is not as useless as he is portrayed to be). Essentially, we revolved around what most "geeks" would tend to immersed themselves in.

However, it seems that the times of mere "teenage talk" may have faded into the background but instead topics I would have deemed boring in the past are foregrounded. Lame jokes were replaced by our views on the present dire global economic plight; gaming thoughts were replaced with our ventures/proposed ventures ( or in my case the lack thereof) in building portfolios and investments of stocks and shares. We shared our philosophies of investments and the entire debate on the pros and cons of which. The "His Go-getter VS My Conservative (read Kiasu)" debate when it comes to investing in stocks. We talked about our views on marriage and the whole economic liabilities it promises to ensue. We speculated ,hypothetically at least, despite factoring in a stable income and promises of less extravagant expenditure, we realised that we would still be in debt when or if we choose to eventually get married.

Well...least he looks a more likely bet to start constructing his marital plans. Not that I am being envious or anything.

He remarked that whilst we are only in our early 20s, sometimes life forces you to grow up. I could not agree more. But at what expense ?...

Or perhaps.....are we growing up too fast to really enjoy what life truly promises due to the pragmatic realisation of facing up to realities ? It is not the case that I appear not willing to "grow up"....but rather...are we truly happy with the kind of life we apparently are slated to lead ?...Could true happiness be derived from pragmatism ? Is happiness in fact what we are seeking in life ??

I do not know.

Questions I continue to seek answers for.

Life goes on.

1 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Marvin said...

as we grow older, we'd realise that life ain't a bed of roses, nor is it so innocent and pure.

how sad...=(

-marvin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home